Monday, July 31, 2006

I pretty much am my hair

kindergarten
5th or 6th grade
freshman/junior




India Arie - I Am Not My Hair




Well, okay, I'm not really my (covered up gray) hair. But today I am my teeth, my chipped front one that is. I'm taking a "vanity day", which is actually using up a sick day, so that I can go and wait at dentist Dr. Tom's office with high hopes that he can squeeze me in for a quick fix. Somehow I broke off a part of my tooth and it's been driving me crazy since Friday night. I pointed out the huge, gaping, crevice to a number of people over the weekend and then again at work yesterday. Every single person did that old line of "oh, it's not that bad; I wouldn't have even noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out." How anyone can not notice the fragment of enamel that is obviously missing from my coffee-stained pearly whites is beyond me. Maybe they were all just being nice. And since I appreciate nice, I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Have you heard the new song by India Arie called "I am not my hair"? If not, you can listen to a snippet by clicking on the link above. Here is a bit of her lyrics:

"Little girl with the press and curl
Age eight I got a Jheri curl
Thirteen I got a relaxer
I was a source of so much laughter
fifteen when it all broke off
Eighteen and went all natural
February two thousand and two
I went and did
What I had to do
Because it was time to change my life
To become the women that I am inside
Ninety-seven dreadlocks all gone
I looked in the mirror
For the first time and saw that HEY....

[Chorus]
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations no no
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am a soul that lives within"

I think if I were to write a song, it would be called "I am not my glasses". Going through my old photos to find snapshots for this blog has been fun but boy have I had some funky spectacle lenses...I'll save that photo montage for another day - the pre-adult hair styles were enough for me today...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! You are sooooo cute! You should have included your baby picture with all your curly black hair. Love, Mom

Care said...

I'm still looking for that curly black hair photo - perhaps I'll find that one when I find my Gift of the Sea book!
Waiting to hear how gramps did??!!